Thursday, November 02, 2006

Look what marriage has done to Zach



Marriage has motivated me more, pushed me to become stronger, faster, more powerful and more ready for Combat than ever before!

Marriage is not an excuse to become weak, fat and lazy!!

++++

I just got finished with an awesome workout, which took me about 30 minutes including my warm up.


Please see our Blog at http://combatgrappler.blogspot.com/

We will update our Blog regularly, and you can subscribe to the Blog updates when you get there. Spam filters make it very difficult to get you the information easily….

Plus, at our Blog, you can see mini movies, and get all the other killer info – better than just the newsletter!

Go to http://combatgrappler.blogspot.com/ and subscribe NOW! Yes, it’s FREE!

++++++

My warm up was with bands, light kettlebells and work on the foam roller. The rest of the workout was all basic movements – push, pull, lift.

Here’s how it looked….

1A) Thick bar deadlift 5 x 3 – 5 reps: 130 lbs, 220 lbs, 310 lbs, 260 lbs, 410 lbs
1B) mixed grip pull ups 5 x 5 – 12 reps
1C) parallel bar dips 5 x 7, 15, 20, 25, 30 reps

Who said fatherhood means getting weak? You won’t hear it coming out of my mouth!

Why did I organize the above workout in such a circuit fashion and why did I choose those movements?

- Thick bars are a staple in my workouts. Being a combat athlete requires you to have a brutal vice grip and thick bars allow you to have grip work incorporated through you entire workout!

- If you train in Grappling (Gi or No Gi) your hands and forearms can get sore for days on end if they are weak. Do NOT neglect the hands and grip!

- The pull ups are a staple as well, and I do them almost every workout, no kidding! I have an addiction to them! I believe all combat athletes should be able to crank out reps in bodyweight pull ups, even if they weigh over 200 lbs, no excuses! I mix the grips every single set for pull ups. The posterior chain is often very weak and pull ups are great for working the back, shoulders, biceps and grip!

** Check out all the insane pull ups we use in our Underground Strength Kit at http://undergroundstrengthkit.com/ **

- Dips are excellent for upper body pushing endurance with high reps. In BJJ, have you ever had a BEAST in your guard who keeps forcing you to perform elbow escapes and your pushing away constantly? Your shoulders and arms feel like they’re going to fall off after a few minutes! High rep pull ups and dips force the body to deal with lactate tolerance and can improve your endurance in this position.

- Back to deadlifting…..these are just plain ol’ nasty! They build strength all over your body and give you that animal instinct! Once or twice a month is enough times for me to go heavy on these. Other times I use moderate weights and submax efforts which still yields returns in strength! Remember, your performance workouts don’t need to feel as exhausting as a combative workout to reap the rewards!

- Why the circuit?

A) I’m a Dad – I need to get the job done FAST!
B) I want to improve my overall conditioning and work capacity
C) I love to test the mind and body – I hate resting, I prefer the intensity and push with heavy duty, hard core circuits

+++++

Need to ask me questions? Contact me through 2 ways:

1) On the Underground Forum – http://undergroundstrengthcoach.com/
2) The Q & A at http://elitefts.com/

** E mail does NOT work as I am bombarded with boat loads of e mails every day. I want to respond but I seriously can’t get back to everyone!! **

++++

Till the next time,

Zach

PS – Don’t forget to scroll down and see our latest movie and FREE article!

PPS – You decide, it’s either 3 cups of coffee or the best freakin’ $ 12.95 you ever spent! Go to http://UndergroundStrengthCoach.com and see what everyone is ravin’ about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home