Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's Been a Looooong Time, But....

There's a reason for my delay in posting, well, a few reasons.

One major reason I can NOT uncover yet as I'm sworn to secrecy!

I have been super busy though either training hard core, highly motivated athletes or simply spending time with my wife and daughter.

I'm doing what I love, can anyone argue with that?

Our wrestlers and football player are seriously training their asses off like never before. We've got a slew of guys heading off to top notch D 1 and D 3 schools ready to bang heads!

This week the weather was beautiful so you know we tore up the field with sled drags like a mofo!

In fact, undercover cops stopped to question what I was doing! Imagine that, getting interrogated by undercover cops for training Underground! They loved what we were doing and took a few business cards! No kidding!

We did nothing fancy, in fact, we don't do anything fancy.

My good friend and mentor, Ryan Lee, just posted this at his Workout Pass Blog, about how the fitness industry has gotten away from hard training and getting results, and became too focused on "functional training".

In fact, last year, I was asked by a trainer what I was doing w/my athletes. I gave a general description about what we do and our core lifts and then he said, "You don't do any functional training?"

What we do IS Functional! Tire flips, sled training, kettlebell swings, kettlebell clean and press, barbell box squats, barbell rows, military press, rope climbing, etc. - these movements kick ass and develop strength, power and toughness like never before.

I always said that I wish I had this knowledge back when I was competing.

On the flip side, I am grateful for my mistakes because those painful mistakes led me to my mission of giving athletes what I never had!

My own workouts have been awesome lately. I spend any free time I can during breaks at work by hitting the playground and doing pull ups. It's not odd for me to have done 50 - 75 pull ups before my work day ends. A few sets of 10 - 20 reps doesn't take much time!

I told you before, I eat pull ups for breakfast!

Here is today's workout:

1) 4 trips of sled dragging forwards and backwards, approx. 200 ft. per trip

2) double kettlebell front squats 2 x 5

3A) BB hang clean 4 x 5 reps

3B) 2 hand KB squats 4 x 10 reps

4A) double Kb cleans 2 x 15, 10

4B) suspended push ups 2 x max reps

5) grip & ab circuit: 3 rounds

6) weighted jump rope intervals for approx. 5 minutes

Nothing fancy, just HARD WORK on the basics.

Our Football crew today warmed up, did box squats for 6 sets of 3 - 5 reps and then did 4 trips with sled drags. That's it, nothing more!

It's working great, one of our guys just deadlifted 585 lbs and only weighs 225 lbs!

More good news coming soon, and if you're in my neck of the woods (and even if you're not), you are going to LOVE the news I have for you!

Dedicated to your success,

Zach

PS - Functional training at it's best, Right HERE :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home